Information about insurance requirements and health services in Norway.


Students travelling to Norway are required to have a valid health insurance for the entire duration of their stay in Norway. International students do not become members of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme automatically.

Fjellhaug International University College does not provide liability insurance for students.

We recommend all international students, regardless of the length of their stay to have a valid travel insurance in addition to their health insurance.

Students from the Nordic countries are covered by the Nordic agreement on registration between Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. It is not necessary to report move to Norway for a stay of less than 6 months.

You will find detailed information about the rights and benefits for Nordic citizens in the following web-page.

Students from an EU/EEA country, must bring their valid European Health Insurance Card or documentation of private insurance in order to prove their right to residency in Norway.

  • European Health Insurance Card is not a travel insurance card and will only cover necessary medical care.*
  • Students with a private health insurance are adviced to check with the issuing authorities the extend of the card coverage while in Norway.

*Please be aware that the European Health Insurance Card is valid only for citizens of countries within the EU/EEA and not citizens from other countries residing in this area.

The health care entitlements under the EEA agreement are limited. It is therefore important to hold private travel insurance in addition to the European Health Insurance Card.

International students staying in Norway between 6 and 12 months:

International students staying between 3 -12 months may be entitled to a voluntary membership in the National Insurance Scheme. Students can apply for voluntary membership after obtaining residence permit and Norwegian ID number.

It might take several months before the application is approved. Students must have a valid health insurance from their home country while waiting for a membership in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme.

International students staying in Norway for more than 12 months:

International students with a valid residence permit, that are admitted to FIUC for more than 12 months will become members of the Norwegian National insurance Scheme automatically.

  • The membership entitles you to health services in Norway on an equal basis with Norwegian residents.
  • The Norwegian National Insurance Scheme covers the cost of regular medical consultations, with the exception of a nominal fee which must be paid by the patient. The scheme also covers hospitalization in Norway.

Please note that dental treatment is not included in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. However, students can get affordable dental treatment through SiO

Information for UK nationals is available here.

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) can only be used in Norway by EU/EEA citizens.

Nationals from Non EU/EEA countries residing in a Schengen country are not covered by European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) This means that you cannot use the EHICs during your stay in Norway unless you are stateless, refugees or family members of an EU national.

Restrictions on the use of your European Health Insurance Card

We also strongly recommend all students to have other types of insurance, such as travel insurance in connection with field trips or holidays.

1.A general (non-life) insurance, to cover you for injuries to yourself or damage to your belongings.

2. Liability insurance, to cover you for injuries or damage that you may cause to other people or to property.

In addition, you may consider insurance against accidental death, especially if you have children or other dependants.

Please note that it is your own responsibility to make insurance arrangements for any accident, illness, injury, loss or damage to persons or property resulting from, or in any way connected with your study period in Norway.

International students with a residence permit of minimum 12 months will be a assigned a general practicioner (GP) after obtaing their Norwegian ID-number. Persons with a D-number will not be assigned a GP, but are entitled to necessary medical treatment.

You will find detailed information in the Norwegian health authorities official website.

Short term students without a Norwegian ID-number can book an appointment at one of the medical centres cooperating with the Student Welfare Organization SiO

For emergency help, please contact:

  • Oslo Accident and Emergency Outpatient Clinic (Legevakten i Oslo), phone number 116 117

A new culture can bring changes which might require making adjustments in many areas. Everyone experiences difficult times in life and sometimes it feels good to talk to someone about your experiences, questions or confusion in a non-judgmental and confidential environment.

The Student Welfare Organization (SiO) offers mental counselling services for all registered students at FIUC.

We also have a University Deacon you can talk to regarding theology, faith and other challenges you are experiencing. Please contact our deacon Sven Morten Kjølleberg at or by phone number 92 22 38 27.

For emergency help, please contact: